09 October 2006

The Frost is on the Pumpkin

Well, I don't have a pumpkin yet, but there's frost all over the firewood, so I guess that counts. It's a chilly fall morning here in Clark Fork today.

After a miserable day yesterday, I find I'm feeling much better this morning. The crud is moving out of my head and down to my chest. I don't much like the coughing part, but really appreciate that my head no longer weighs the 6,000 pounds it weighed yesterday.

Have you ever wondered just how much... well, snot a person can generate and carry around in their head? I have, and as is typical for me, once I come up with a question, I want to know the answer. So I started trolling the internet.

Well, I learned that sex can clear a stuffy nose (somehow it helps your body produce antihistamines) and that your ears secrete more ear wax when you're afraid than when you're not. Finally, in the 1800s, it was believed gin could cure stomach problems. Of course, we know now that it's whiskey that's the big cure all - according to my grandmother, there's nothing much that can't be fixed by a nice hot toddy.

The closest I came to learning about my original question, however, was one website that stated, during a cold... "enormous amounts" of phlegm can be produced. Well duh. Anyway, I have a newspaper to finish, so can't spend the time continuing to search. If anyone knows the answer, please let me know. Conversely, if I manage to find out the answer despite my deadline, I'll let you know.

No comments: