09 December 2006

Using your work computer for personal "stuff"

Seems like that's a big issue in the CDA/Spokane area these days. As such, I thought I should check the policy and procedures here at little ol' TRJ, and check out my employees' computers to see what I've been paying them to spend their time on.

Whoo Hoo! Lots of personal emails, chatting, blogging, reading of personal material, visiting questionable websites (I mean, Harpers? Come on!) This just can't continue.

My biggest problem, however, is determining how to deal with the problem. I mean, my only employee is... me. I'm the guilty party.

"But boss," I say to myself. "My work computer also happens to be my personal computer."

"Doesn't matter," I reply sternly. "If it's work time, you should be doing work."

"But boss," I meekly cringe, "I do work things outside of normal working hours. I can be working on the River Journal at 5 am, at 10 pm and heck, I'm working on the River Journal most weekends, too."

"Doesn't matter," I reply sternly again. "If it's work time, you should be doing work."

Okay, I don't want to make fun of what might be a serious problem in the south, but let's face it - I just can't relate. And I must admit - I don't hesitate to send personal emails to people during the times I KNOW they're at work. And I expect a response. Thank goodness, most of the people I know are either business owners or independent contractors.

But enough is enough. NO MORE PERSONAL STUFF FOR ME ON MY WORK TIME. That means, of course, that I'm going to have to re-define work time, a process that should fit hand and glove with my goal to GET MYSELF ORGANIZED, FINALLY! I'm gonna try to do that at the end of the month. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: